Speak out against poverty!
Church Urban Fund is looking for skilled speakers and presenters to raise awareness and understanding of poverty in England.
We need volunteers to engage with churches across the country and encourage them to support Church Urban Fund through financial giving, action and prayer. This is an exciting opportunity to live out the gospel teaching to love our neighbour and to use your gifts to inspire churches and individuals into action. Together, we can make a difference, transforming the lives of those affected by poverty and inequality.
"Defend those who are helpless and have no hope. Be fair and give justice to the poor and homeless." Proverbs 31:8-9 (CEV).
Who are Church Urban Fund speakers?
Church Urban Fund voluntary speakers are good communicators with a heart for the poor and the willingness to speak on Church Urban Fund's behalf. Experience of living or working in a more deprived area is not essential, but you will need a passion for tackling poverty and inequality in England.
Speakers may include:
- licensed Lay Readers who are in a church with several lay ministers and clergy and therefore have the time and capacity to preach or speak in other churches too
- retired clergy or ministers
- Non-stipendiary ministers
- individuals who have a heart for the poor or have experience of living or working in more deprived areas
What is involved?
- Preaching: speaking or preaching at church services about the issues of poverty and the work of the Church Urban Fund, linked to scriptural themes or the lectionary readings.
- Presenting: at other church events of local meetings.
- Praying: individually, and leading groups to pray for the work of the Church Urban Fund and the projects we support.
You can get involved as little or as much as you want; whatever you can offer will make a difference.
How does it work?
Church Urban Fund:
- co-ordinates regional speaking requests and allocates the nearest voluntary speakerprovides outline talks, sermons and presentations in a variety of settings
- covers out-of-pocket expenses
- offers support via regular briefings and contact, with opportunities to meet regionally as a network to discuss issues and provide feedback
- organises project visits so you can be inspired by the work that is made possible with the support of the Church Urban Fund.
Contact Kerry McMenamin (e-mail email@example.com or call 0207 898 1091) if you're interested in becoming a voluntary speaker or you would like more information.
- Ready-to-go projects
- Together Network